Farro, cherry, and walnut salad
- 1.2 L water
- 260 g uncooked farro
- 200 g sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 70 g celery, diced
- 40 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 15 g fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 30 mL fresh lemon juice
- 16 g whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 15 mL honey
- Ground black pepper
- 15 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
Nutritional values (per serving):
|Total carbs:||57 g|
|Total fat:||12 g|
|Saturated fat:||2 g|
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add farro and 1 pinch of salt to boiling water. Cook 15 minutes or until al dente. Drain and cool at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix farro, cherries, celery, walnuts, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, mustard, honey, pepper, and remaining 1 pinch of salt. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Pour dressing over farro mixture, and toss to coat.
Parsley and cherries contain vitamin C. This vitamin is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect our cells against oxidative stress, which has an impact on cardiovascular processes. (Source: EFSA, authorized claims on Vitamin C, Csányi, Gábor, Francis J. Miller. “Oxidative Stress in Cardiovascular Disease.” Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15(4):6002-6008.