Chicken waldorf salad
- 545 g boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 90 g red or green grapes, sliced in half
- 100 g celery, chopped
- 40 g walnuts, chopped, toasted if desired and divided
- 70 g low-fat mayonnaise
- 80 g low-fat plain yogurt
- 10 mL lemon juice
Nutritional values (per serving):
|Total carbs:||11 g|
|Total fat:||14 g|
|Saturated fat:||2 g|
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, and lemon juice until well mixed, set aside.
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 10-15 minutes.
- For toasted walnuts: preheat oven to 175°C. Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast 5-10 minutes tossing occasionally until they are slightly darker on the outside.
- Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery, and 30 g walnuts. Stir to coat well.
- Serve topped with the remaining walnuts.
Mayonnaise is a tasty but fatty and salty sauce. It is better to eat some occasionally and always without adding more salt to the meal. If you can, always try to cook it yourself in a light version with yogurt or fromage blanc.